Engaging And Encouraging
At WAY Academy of Flint, we believe learning should be engaging and encouraging to students. It should encourage self-esteem, independence, and develop 21st century skills. Our approach is built on three core components.
Project Based Learning
Students explore authentic, engaging, and real-world problems.
Competency Based Learning
Students progress by mastering learning standards in their courses.
Students work online and in-person for their courses.
At WAY Academy of Flint, we offer grades 7 - 12. Here are some key features of our school:
- Diploma - Students are on a path towards a high school diploma
- Small class sizes - In-person classes average 10 - 15 students
- Mentor support - Mentors monitor students progress and make daily contact
- Team Leader support - Team Leaders removes any barriers to learning
- Centric - Students and parents can use Centric to access the curriculum and grading online
- Technology provided - We provide the computer and internet connection to students
- Blended learning - 50% face to face and 50% online learning with access to online teachers.
To help our students see learning differently, we use different words for traditional school terms.
- Projects - Coursework
- Mentor - Learning coach
- Expert - Certified teacher, online & in-person
- Researcher - Student
- Team Leader - Student learning advocate
- Lab - School classroom